Through hard work, a fridge full of cola, and determination, we were able to build a mechanism that would allow marketers to enable their email campaigns ‘social share’ capability by inserting a simple URL in the campaign. Once the URL was inserted into the HTML, email subscribers could now share an email campaign on the following networks:
…..Impressive? Not really. It is 2014 after all. So we challenged ourselves even further with the following question:
"Once an email campaign shares on a user’s social network, wouldn’t it be cool if a marketer could track the additional campaign engagement, subscriber acquisition, and associate revenue back to that original email subscriber?"
Here’s an Example
- John Smith belongs to Acme’s mailing list
- Acme sends John an email campaign
- John Smith socially shares Acme’s email campaign on his Facebook page
- Chris Jones, Facebook friend of John Smith, notices the shared email offer and clicks on it to view the email campaign
- Chris Jones subsequently subscribes to Acme’s mailing list and purchases an Acme product
- Several other friends of John had similar levels of engagement with this campaign.
If Acme was able to attribute Chris’s purchase back to John Smith’s social share of the email campaign, the strategy in which Acme communicates with John will significantly change. Acme will now have visibility into John’s true consumer value.
Example: Social Share / Attribution Statistic
- Subscriber: John Smith
- Campaign: Father’s Day Special
- Additional Email Campaign Opens: 56
- Additional Social Shares: 24
- Newly Acquired Subscribers: 18
- Additional purchases: 13
- Total Purchase Revenue: $1,233.00
If marketers were equipped with the social share capability and attribution tracking defined above, it would truly enhance the relationship between email and social. It will also provide new ways marketers can communicate with actively sharing subscribers. Perhaps additional incentive strategies could be developed for those actively sharing email campaigns.
Welcome Yesmail’s Social Attribution Intelligence
With the creation of Social Attribution Intelligence, Yesmail provides marketers with this exact capability, and we couldn’t be more excited about it. This groundbreaking technology re-affirms the importance of email in the digital marketing eco-system, and further defines email’s priority among other digital channels.
Social Attribution Intelligence provides marketers with the following capabilities:
- Enable an email campaign’s social sharing capability on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn.
- Rich attribution tracking on opens, shares, newly acquired subscribers, and purchases back to the original email subscriber that shared the offer.
Live Example: Kristin enabled a PepBoys campaign with the social share feature and shared the email campaign on Facebook.